A letter of reference/recommendation/RIF is optional. It is prepared by an alumna of a sorority as a way of introducing you to her sorority. Each sorority and university handles references a little differently. View the university’s Panhellenic site or sorority site for specific information and due dates.
It is best if you have a personal connection with the alumna; they can be family, friends, teachers and acquaintances. If needed, an alumnae in the Birmingham Alumnae Panhellenic can provide a recommendation.
Requesting a recommendation from someone you know
If you know an alumna from a sorority, you may ask them to send a recommendation for you.
- Ask at least three weeks prior to the recommendation deadline.
- When requesting, provide the deadline to the alumna.
- Give the alumna an updated copy of your resume and your high school transcript.
- Be sure to write a sincere thank you note expressing gratitude for their time and recommendation.
Requesting a recommendation from the Birmingham Alumnae Panhellenic Association
If there is a sorority (or several sororities) that you need recommendations for and do not know an alumnae, the Birmingham Alumnae Panhellenic Association can help!
To request a recommendation from alumnae in the Birmingham Alumnae Panhellenic Association use the form linked below. Please submit the form at least three weeks prior to the college recommendation deadline.
What you will need to fill out the form:
- Your unofficial high school or college transcript (electronic file or scanned to be uploaded). Contact your high school at the end of May or beginning of June to request your transcript.
- Your resume (to be uploaded)
- A photo of yourself (to be uploaded). The photo does not need to be professional. It just needs to be recent.
- The list of sororities for which you need a recommendation
- Write a sincere thank you note to each person expressing your thanks for their time and recommendation.